System Problems in Supporting Learners Module

Home Forums Teaching on the Run System Problems in Supporting Learners Module

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Carla van Heerden 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rebecca Bedford

I have been noticing a pattern that is emerging when discussing the different types of problems in clinical teaching (Learner, Supervisor and System) in the supporting learners module. Participants are expressing frustration around the difficulty in addressing system problems i.e. rostering, time to develop learning plans and overall support from management and their peers in clinical teaching. The frustration is often that they don’t have control over these aspects of their roles and without manager support the learner friendly culture will not be present.
    I have been encouraging participants to consider the following things when addressing system problems:
    ·        Encourage others in the clinical area to get trained so that there are multiple people in the area who are skilled and positively influencing/ valuing clinical teaching
    ·        Having a cost/benefit analysis conversation of sorts with their managers about the benefits of investing in planning and the effect this will have on the quality of clinical teaching when their learners are on the floor.
    ·        Be patient as culture change is a slow process.
    Does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas?
    Thanks!

Megan Harbourne

I agree with Rebecca.  I also think that sometimes (especially in recent times) our expectations might need to be reviewed.  We are now being challenged to re-prioritise what is important or to scale back what support we are providing.  However, as Rebecca has said, the cost/benefit analysis discussion needs to be present in your advocacy to protect clinical education and training time.

Rebecca Bedford

Thanks Megan for your thoughts. I am encouraging clinical teachers to not give up but continue to advocate for their learners to have the time to learn new skills and the support to practice them in the clinical setting. It seems that the supervisors feel stuck. The expectation is that they will continue to take students however are not given the resources to do it. The cost benefit analysis conversation is a diffcult conversations to have with your manager, espeically if your just starting out as a clinical teacher/ educator.

Carla van Heerden

Interesting topic, and I’m sure this happens everywhere. In our area there has recently been a project worker to address the issue particularly in relation to nursing students – for allied health there seems to have been a longer history and more acceptance of student education being an important part of clinical practice and there has always been an expectation to participate. The project around nursing education was supported by the university and helped to create  culture change as the project coordinator was funded full-time for 6 months to work on setting up templates and communication pathways to support education running smoothly and support clinicians more in accepting student placements in future. It raised the profile with managers and clinicians and have certainly had positive outcomes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: System Problems in Supporting Learners Module
Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>