Involving learners in high risk areas

Home Forums Teaching on the Run Involving learners in high risk areas

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Sarah Cherian 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Fiona Lake

I am interested in ways teachers involve students (that is new learners with limited skills or knowledge) in high risk or high pressure areas (ICU, Neonatal wards, post admission rounds with multiple sick patients, emergency deliveries, MET calls). This is relevant across the professions although my area is medicine.  Students often complain about feeling as though they are in the way, or on the edge and are scared about doing something wrong.

I try and do the planning and briefing, debriefing challenging if you are busy-  but am keen to hear how others tackle this issue.

Richard Whitaker

I facilitate medical students and junior doctors learning critical care and resuscitation skills, particularly through simulation-based learning, but also through contact with real patients in an ED setting. I believe the critical factors are appropriate briefing to establish a degree of safety for the students and to make time for sufficient debriefing, which is difficult when in a real clinical situation. Busy clinicians have to be very aware that students can be easily neglected in high pressure situations and simply acknowledging their concerns (for example, about being in the way) before and after is often sufficient to make them feel more comfortable.

Georgina Neill

Simulated learning is considered useful for HALO situations-High Acuity Low Opportunity, where it would be too risky to learn on a real life patient initially.

I’ve found the NHET SIm resources useful to learn how to prepare, deliver and debrief a simulated learning event (SLE). An SLE activity could be a simple role play, but using an approach to developing and scripting the session, creating an immersive experience with props/simulated patients, and have a structured briefing and debriefing component. As highlighted by RIchard, debriefing is very important and learning how to use different models of debriefing/feedback enhances the learning experience.

Sarah Cherian

This is becoming much more challenging (particularly post-admittting rounds in winter, with 4 hour rule pressures etc) but needs to be incorporated into the daily process. Similarly to Georgina’s comments, we are encouraging the utlisation of simulation teaching into JMO education sessions (ward, ED and interprofessional). Additionally we are using simulation processes to highlight good clinical handover techniques and “response to deteriorating patients”, both of which are areas of risk for junior staff (particularly after hours).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Involving learners in high risk areas
Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>